Friday 9 August 2013

The search for the perfect black cami/strappy tank top

If you haven't noticed, cami's are all over Polyvores, and a lot of fashion forward stores are starting to carry them. I've been searching for that "perfect" cami for a while now. The Perfect Cami fits loose, exposes 2/3-1/2 of your back, has a droopy vneck that gives decent chest coverage, but still shows off your collar bones, and low enough for your cute lace bralette to peek through. 

Being a petite girl myself, I can say it's hard to find the right fit. Having small framed shoulders, a narrow waist and small chest, it's tough to find a loose top that doesn't swallow you. Here are three strappy tank tops that I've come across, and here is why they did or did not work.

Zara Strappy Top ($45.90 CAD)

This was the first cami I came across that wasn't over $100 on Polyvore, but not dirt cheap either. In the image it appears to be nearly perfect, possibly too low of a vneck for my taste, but I assumed it was nothing a smaller size can't fix. The straps seemed to hang high enough to give that coverage I was looking for. Shockingly however when I tried it on, it was way too over exposing. The straps are actually really long, baring the front and back of my body. I don't exactly have a big bust to fill it in either. Pulling it up meant exposing my entire back and pulling it forward bared my entire chest. I think this top can work for a gal with a big chest, or is tall, or has broader shoulder. 

Asos Woven Cami ($21.40 CAD)
This is when I thought I hit the jack pot. Inexpensive, and comes in petite, guaranteeing that petite fit. Oh but I was wrong. It fit a lot like the strappy tank top from Zara. It's exactly how it appears it in the image, extremely low in the front again baring almost everything. Wearing a bralette or bandeau couldn't even save it. The material was also a little stiff, and the cami was really box-y, not flow-y. Pass.

Topshop Strappy V-neck Cami ($36 CAD in stores/$30 online)
This one is the real deal, I wish I came across it sooner. Topshop had free international shipping so I took a risk and ordered this in a size 2. At the time I didn't realize they offered it in petite, but I'm unfamiliar with how their petite range fits so I like to stay safe with the regular sizes. This cami had the perfect fit. I like that it's not cropped either. High coverage in the front, hangs low (but not too low) in the back. It felt silky and smooth, and it's just a little bit sheer. I'm in love. 




1 comment:

  1. Yes, it’s true that those with smaller body frame will have a problem finding loose tank tops that doesn’t look too big on them. I too have a small and petite body, so I don’t like loose tops that much. I normally go with fitting tees and tops most of the time.

    ReplyDelete